Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day

Her heart is like her garden,

Old fashioned, quaint and sweet,

With here a wealth of blossoms,

And there a still retreat.

Alice E. Allen

Pure and sweet, her fair brow seemed as eternal as the sky;
and like the brooks's low song, was her voice,
a sound which could not die.
John Greenleaf Whittier
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Mother's Day is a bittersweet time for me now. My Mom passed away last September and it's still so hard to deal with at times. At the same time, I have a lifetime of precious memories of my Mama, so not a day goes by that even though I have sad, lonely moments, I have hours and hours of thoughts of her sweet smile, her soft skin when I kissed her cheek, her words of encouragement or praise, the sparkle in her eyes when she was watching her grandchildren, the early morning dewey walks with her to see the newest blooms that had just opened up, singing with her in church, her soft voice in the bedroom when she said her morning prayers before starting her day... the wonderful memories of Mama are endless. When going through her belongings, I ran across so many things we, her family, had given her over the years. The photo above is a rose corsage I made for her several years ago. Every Mother's Day Mom wore a corsage to church in honor of her Mother who had passed away when Mom was in her 20s. Mom had kept it and the little tag I had attached to it carefully wrapped in a drawer, only to be used once a year. I have it now, with many more of her small keepsakes, nothing fancy, nothing expensive,
just Simple Joys.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

10 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about your Mother. I hope today you feel her love holding you closer than ever;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lana dear, I know your mom is smiling ..and she's with our Lord. I hope you had a joyous day my dear friend. Smiles, Deena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lana,

    I'm so sorry your Mother is not with you anymore. What sweet memories you two have together. May God's love surround you on this day. Blessings, Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. May you have a blessed Mothers Day!!!

    Mica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lana, thank you for sharing the sweet memories of your Mom...what a precious lady she must have been, just like her daughter.

    ((((Big Hugs))))

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lana,
    Such wonderful memories that you have of your Mom.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry that your Mother is no longer with you here...I hope that your memories of her bring you happiness and comfort, and that you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Lana, I have missed you yesterday, how are you doing?" Please come and visit, I have a lovely piece of jewlery, you just might find fancy! Take care and hope to hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lana~ I share you sadness!

    I send out more Mother's Day cards now than I did before I lost Mom. I realize how blessed I have been to have 'mothering souls' in my life.
    Did you see my Mother's Day post? You'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lana, so sorry that you don't have your mama still. Hang on to those precious memories.

    Hugs,
    Rhoda

    ReplyDelete